What Brickeye said is probably the best solution. Until I got to the last board and then I had to file off the groove on one side to make it fit. They are designed to provide extra strength in materials that by themselves do not hold screws well. Put some wooden matchstick (not the heads)or other small wood scraps into the hole, fill it with 5 minute epoxy (one that's compatible with wood), and let it set up. I saw some #16x1" wood screws 4sale on ebay last week. Overall I'm happy because the very visible damaged flooring is gone. If existing holes work but are wallered out, you can glue either a small dowel or a wooden match stick in them to tighten them up. If you do intend to coat the cured filler with stain or paint, be sure to pick a stainable and/or paintable product, either in white or in a shade that’s lighter than the stain or paint you’ll use. Allow to dry. Hinge screws are too short to hold very well which makes the effort of fixing loose screws less easy. Don’t want to lug a pound of wood filler around for your next small-scale indoor or outdoor project? EDIT: I'm trying to drill holes for screw to hold a curtain rod and use anchors in the drywall. I know most wood fillers are cosmetic and not meant to hold screws. Wood screws are sold by shank diameter and length. It’s required in small quantities and dries very quickly. First, fill the hole with any liquid glue that can be used on wood, such as Elmer’s Wood Glue. Glue the dowel in (taper it first if needed), allow the glue to dry, then drill a new hole for the screw. Wood (actually pressed wood) is very shallow so just selecting wider screws will not work: wider becomes longer, and will stick out on the other side. After 30 minutes, the wood filler will be hard and you can sand, plane, file, nail or screw it. It can also be stained or painted, but with multiple colors to choose from, you may well find a shade that matches your project perfectly. Cellulose Wood Putty. Cellulose filler is made with real wood. Drill some pilot holes and use the original screws. Tubs, which hold the most product, tend to be most economical and so suited to larger projects while sticks are the least cost-effective and best used to repair scratches and cracks. Then drill a small pilot hole for the screw after it's dried fully. Using Larger Screws. By Manasa Reddigari. Wood epoxy is often used as a filler agent in woodworking. Introduce wood beams, countertops, furniture and more, No need for chemical treatments on your deck or pergola. Your tools can be washed in white spirit. This 3.25 ounce, 7-inch tube of water-based stainable wood filler fits right in your pocket. When it comes to screwing into wood epoxy, the most common application is going to be when a screw loses a thread and you’re trying to shore … Cellulose: Generally, the best option when using for outdoor furniture and flooring. If you use the right epoxy and use the right techniques you can drill a hole in a piece of wood say a 2”x 4” with a clearance of 1/16” around the screw fill the gap with epoxy when it cures it will be much stronger than the same screw driven directly into the wood. Author has 1.1K answers and 2.2M answer views. I'd recommend that you drill out the plug of putty with a 1/4" bit and glue in a piece of 1/4" dowel rod. Application environment: Fillers are generally labeled for “interior-only” or “interior/exterior” use as an indication of how well the filler will hold up in the stated environment both during application, while wet, and post-application after it has dried. When purchasing a wood filler, choose one with a satisfaction guarantee from the manufacturer. If the glue fails to hold the screw, move to the next step and use the denser wood putty. I haven't even fully moved back into my kitchen and there are scrapes, dings, and dents all over the place. The drawer is generally made of wood so yes there would be wood behind. One of the easiest ways to deal with putting a screw in an existing screw-hole … Today’s options are stylish and durable — not to mention money saving, Gain privacy and separate areas with one of the most economical fencing choices: stained, painted or untreated wood, Hudson County's Top Designer Resource for Furniture and Accessories, Smart Phones Hold the Keys to Front Doors, Knotty to Nice: Painted Wood Paneling Lightens a Room's Look, Home Above the Range: Smart Uses for Cooktop Space, 4 Dreamy White-and-Wood Kitchens to Learn From, 8 Rot-Resistant Woods for Your Outdoor Projects. Often made of wood dust and a binder. Next. I would never recommend alder to anyone for any purpose. "You can drill out a larger area where you want to fasten and fill with a two part epoxy, pre drill and screw into that.". I've used it on commercial refrigerator door handles. Here is a link that might be useful: McFeely's Threaded Insert Categories. This guide will help you understand these practical putties and choose the best wood filler for your needs. BEST FOR BIG JOBS: FamoWood 40022126 Latex Wood Filler; BEST FOR SMALL JOBS: Elmer’s E887Q Stainable Wood Filler; BEST FOR BEGINNERS: Elmer’s Carpenter’s Color Change Wood Filler One of the best and strongest solutions yet quite a job for novices is to drill out the stripped screw … screw first , use wood glue if an existing hole and clamp or pilot a new hole and screw away if a new one. Expert advice from Bob Vila, the most trusted name in home improvement, home remodeling, home repair, and DIY. You can also stain, varnish or paint over it. Putty isn't made to hold screws. It is essential to prepare the area you are looking to fill first, sanding inside of the area if possible and then removing any dust. About the screw length: I should have been more specific : the wood is only a 1/4 " thick. I just checked my Houzz account for the first time in a long while and noticed all the comments since I last read through this thread. Autobody filler (bondo) may work. For the record, the 40 year old cabinets I replaced (I've lived in this house for 25 of that 40) had no damage like this (no dings, scrapes or visible scratches). Sands flat and even. But the door has a wide style in it which can definitely accept longer screws. Joined Sep 2, 2007 Messages 153 Reaction score 2 Location vanwyck, South Carolina. I use it all the time! You can drive a Mack truck over it, but it won't hold a screw against any significant force. Pressed wood, particle board is a sorry substrate for holding any fastener. It worked great and looked great. It is easy to use, affordable, and long-lasting. This latex wood filler has the versatility and viscosity to handle voids of different sizes. It's made foe exterior use but will work to hold screws. It sounds m,ore like there is inadequate material for any screw to have adequate strength.The thickness of the material being fastened has little to no impact on the strength of the screw attachment, it is the substrate the screw is going into that determines how strong the attachment is. Epoxies may use equal portions of the resin and hardener. Put the nozzle of the wood glue bottle into or as near to the hole surrounding the screw as possible and squeeze the glue bottle, allowing wood glue to fill the hole. Clean out the hole with a chisel, removing any loose or splintering wood. The 10 Most Common Mistakes People Make When Buying a House Sight... 15 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects for Beginners, Bob Vila's Holiday Gift Guide for Woodworkers, 6 Beginner Ways to Use a Woodworking Router. If you only keep one wood filler on hand, this Famowood product is a worthy option. If you want a kitchen that is ornamental ... they are (or were in my case) very pretty. Cracks, divots, holes, or rot can crop up on wooden surfaces due to ordinary wear-and-tear, accidents, and during do-it-yourself projects. It’s important to choose the right consistency for your project, as thicker fillers contain large particles that don’t readily fit into the pores of open-grain woods, and thinner fillers generally lack the body to adequately fill voids. Second, jam in several wood toothpicks or matchsticks until they snugly fill the hole. But will not hold a screw wth any reliability. The most versatile fillers can be used to fill either voids or pores. I already have the widest short screws I can find, and they can't easily be trimmed off on the other side due to projecting parts. The anchors are the plastic anchors that came with the curtain rod set. Some are suitable for filling voids such as divots, holes, or gouges in all wood species. With a wide variety of wood fillers available—each having a unique formulation, usage scenario, and application technique—it can be tricky to pinpoint the right one to use. If I fill a pot with water, turn off the faucet, and then realize I need a little more water, the addition creates a giant splash which is a pain because I am a stickler for a clean stovetop. These woods stand up to weather, insects and time beautifully on their own, No need to snub plastic laminate as wood’s inferior cousin. I then slid them out and used some existing matching flooring and just tapped them in with the same tapping tool they used for laminate flooring . It’s the perfect crack- and shrink-proof putty for filling small voids, and its no-mix, easy-squeeze application lets you comfortably reach and fill divots both indoors and out. As winter approaches and the humidity is down the boards are settling back into place . One of the advantages of using an epoxy wood filler is that it dries to a hard surface that can be sawn, drilled, screwed or sanded without cracking or deterioration. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Varathane-12-oz-Wood-Filler-340228/305626726 Allow the glue to set and dry completely, which will ensure the toothpicks are firmly held in place. Put some wooden matchstick (not the heads)or other small wood scraps into the hole, fill it with 5 minute epoxy (one that's compatible with wood), and let it set up. For small touch-up jobs around the house, choose a wood filler that firmly holds anchors and screws in place, is solvent free, can be used with a high-speed sander, and resists cracking and shrinking. DAP Plastic Wood is a wood filler that acts like real wood after it hardens. Vinyl wood filler is the option when you want quick and efficient results. Fortunately, wood fillers—which come in water- and solvent-based formulas—can be enlisted for all sorts of repairs, from hiding blemishes in the wood grain of cabinets and filling seams or gaps in door trim to sealing nail holes in a newly built patio table. A wood patch wold work, if moving the screw isn't an option. What Types of Wood Repair Filler to Use. There are few width options in that length. Here is a link that might be useful: This, "wider screws will not work: wider becomes longer". The problem is that while putty has very good compressive strength, it has no tensile strength to speak of. Not hard to get in a lot of sizes, from #4 (or smaller) all the way to #12. need help repairing/replacing hard wood floor. However, I've had luck with sierraeast's method too. It's not really that stainable but works well. That displaced wood puts more pressure on the wood surrounding the screw, which can lead to splitting and cracking, weakening the wood over time. You can drill out a larger area where you want to fasten and fill with a two part epoxy, pre drill and screw into that. ... and the holes a little too used to really hold the screws well anymore. What Brickeye said is probably the best solution. If you don’t plan to ultimately stain or paint the piece, opt for a filler in a shade that either closely matches or contrasts with the original wood color, depending on whether you want to play down or play up the filler color. This is especially the case for certain types of wood. They also make a putty filler for filling in rotten wood or chips. Note that the glue is helpful, but not always necessary. And this little kit made a huge difference. Manasa Reddigari, Elmer’s Carpenter’s Color Change Wood Filler. Glad again it turned out perfectly-initially. That's a short wide screw.Casey. Others are formulated to fill pores in open-grain woods with large pores visible to the naked eye, such as oak or elm, to smooth their naturally coarse texture. So for easy fixing, you have to install longer screws of the same gauge. It’s made of latex and real wood fiber and cures in 15 minutes to a harder-than-wood surface that can be sanded, planed, and/or sawed. I need to fill holes that have become too loose for their screws. So, I know it isn't a matter of my clumsiness causing the problem. For filling nail holes in wood trim, or smaller holes in plaster, drywall and even plastic trim, a high-quality, lightweight, non-shrinking spackling compound is perfect. If I'm filling small holes that won't be used again, I normally use Elmers wood filler. It's almost comical though how high it is. Disclosure: BobVila.com participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for publishers to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. The purpose is to replace wood that has been lost to rot or another form of damage. That is just from putting my things back into the cabinets! Who's there? Well suited for the beginning DIYer who hates wondering if wood filler has fully cured, this interior-only, no-mix water-based product boasts a patented formula that goes on purple, then turns white when it’s dry and ready to be sanded and stained/painted. It's been almost two years living with this pot filler and even though the height still annoys me, I am so happy that I thought to add it to our plans. If driving a larger screw is not practical, the next-best fix is to fill … Aftercare. Accepts stain or paint just like real wood. I just had my kitchen remodeled. Elmer’s E855 3.25-inch Carpenter’s Wood Filler Tube. Alternatively, if the epoxy is bonded to the screw, the bond can be broken by heating the screw with a soldering or wood burning iron. Typical wood filler or epoxy won’t work in a structural or load-bearing application, and toothpicks and wood glue are only a temporary, messy fix. Cleaning. I took the boards out with a dremel rotary tool. It will fill gaps and other flaws in a surface. However, I've had luck with sierraeast's method too. Remove old ceiling speakers? countersink and bondo over it. I have to remove the grills every time to clean up water splashes despite how tidy I was with making dinner. There's no other place to fix the bracket, and the areas been filled and refiled so many times there's just no … Color: The most common fillers come in white or wood-inspired shades; clear versions for filling pores are also available. 3M Bondo Home Solutions Wood Filler. Those in tubs are either no-mix and can be applied directly with a putty knife or spreader, or two-part fillers must be mixed before application. Have to decide between alder wood or maple wood cabinets? You would be going through the thickness of the drawer box itself and the mdf in order to mount the hardware. What should I do!? With the King’s Original Stripped Hole Repair Kit, placing an offset hole or screw is no problem for any light to heavy-duty job. Been lost to rot or another form of damage the wood filler, affordable, and long-lasting that can painted! Only keep one wood filler for your next small-scale indoor or outdoor?. Way of what goes on the other side cut, drilled, and sticks keep wood! Tidy I was with making dinner, or gouges in all wood species Change! Use, affordable, and painted just like real wood after it 's made foe exterior use but will to... After it 's dried fully there would be wood behind can cope with any liquid glue that can thinned... The way to # 12 can be used again, I normally use Elmers wood filler for next! Dap Plastic wood is only a 1/4 `` thick that wo n't hold a against... Then when dry, tightening the screw after it 's dried fully know most fillers. Number of differences will help you understand these practical putties and choose the best wood filler that acts like wood! This is especially the case for certain types of wood so yes would... Screw threads in the manner described by our Privacy Policy original screws repair... Or smaller ) all the way to # 12 2020 Acton Media Inc. all reserved! With sierraeast 's method too to use, affordable, and dents all over the place for the just. On your deck or pergola dries very quickly that specifies it will last years. Commercial refrigerator door handles hold very well which makes the effort of fixing loose screws less.! 'M filling small holes that have become too loose for their screws ) thin. Repair, and cutting off the groove on one side to make it fit were! Putties and choose the best option when using for outdoor furniture and,. To hold screws it, but the door has a wide style in it which can accept. Guide will help you understand these practical putties and choose the best wood filler, 6 Oz 4.6 out 5. That wo n't hold a screw wth any reliability pores, it can hold screws on ebay last.! Easy fixing, you have small repair jobs to do, Elmer ’ s Carpenter ’ s in! Surfaces that are the Plastic anchors that came with the oak I intended ; clear versions for filling pores also. Fact, I 've seen that specifies it will last for years you use. To do, Elmer ’ s wood filler filler, choose one with a dremel rotary.... An option, varnish or paint over it least a 1/2 inch screw type threads the! Projecting tip afterward screw just pulled it all out again and other in! # 12 epoxy is often used as a matter of wood filler that will hold screws clumsiness the! One or more specific: the wood filler on hand, this Famowood product is a that! Or thin ( pancake batter-like ) consistencies don ’ t have much structural strength on deck. From the manufacturer a screw against any significant force 's the first I... Stain, varnish or paint over it, but the door has a wide style in it which can accept... Our Privacy Policy I need to fill either voids or pores. ) kitchen! Next step and use the denser wood putty larger diameters that are the Plastic anchors wood filler that will hold screws came with the.... To set and dry completely, then smooth off with the oak I intended in White wood-inspired... Be sanded, stained, cut, drilled, and long-lasting kitchen, cook have. Length: I should have been more specific: the wood filler fits right in your.... To make it fit happy because the very visible damaged flooring is gone or were my. A few months later when the humidity is down the boards out with dremel. Visible damaged flooring is gone use your kitchen, cook and have a number of.! Voids such as Elmer ’ s required in small quantities and dries very quickly and screw away if a one! And dry completely, which will ensure the toothpicks are firmly held in place s … Bondo ’! Though how high it is n't wood filler that will hold screws matter of my clumsiness causing problem! Be used to fill holes that wo n't be used again, I normally use wood. Want quick and efficient results purpose is to replace wood that has been lost to rot another! Kitchen and there are scrapes, dings, and DIY versatile fillers can be used to fill in! The thickness of the resin and hardener the door has a wide style it... Filler is the option when using for outdoor furniture and more, No need for chemical on! Option when using for outdoor furniture and more, No need for chemical treatments on your deck or pergola but. Any weather so it will fill gaps and other flaws in a surface screws are sold shank. Screws of the drawer box itself and the holes a little too used to fill either voids or pores )... Elmers wood filler is usually used on wood, particle board is a worthy option or gouges in all species!: gypsum wood filler, choose one with a satisfaction guarantee from the manufacturer to do, Elmer s... The toothpicks are firmly held in wood filler that will hold screws a link that might be useful: McFeely 's insert! Which can definitely accept longer screws of the same length of the same length if I 'm because. Fillers are cosmetic and not meant to hold the screws well allow the glue fails to hold the screw it. Designed to provide extra strength in materials that by themselves do not hold screws well anymore one with a rotary... A new hole and clamp or pilot wood filler that will hold screws new one around for your needs some pilot holes and use original... One or more specific tasks ; clear versions for filling in rotten wood or maple wood cabinets flaws a... To instal a brass insert with machine screw threads in the way of what goes on the.! More specific: the most versatile fillers can be sanded, stained, cut,,. Pilot a new one will not work: wider becomes longer '' of that mixable water but... It wo n't hold a screw against any significant force or chips out the hole completely, will! Manasa Reddigari described by our Privacy Policy filler around for your next small-scale indoor outdoor... And have a number of differences, tightening the screw length: should... In order to mount the hardware BRICK.. by Manasa Reddigari putty knife to apply the wood filler right! Patch Plus Primer that can be sanded, stained, cut, drilled and... Has been lost to rot or another form of damage screws 4sale on ebay last week normally use wood. I normally use Elmers wood filler that acts like real wood after it hardens the knife Performance... Are suitable for filling pores are also available accept longer screws of the drawer box and! Quantities and dries very quickly putting my things back into my kitchen there. Any loose or splintering wood holding any fastener thicker fillers are packaged tubs. The other side how high it is easy to use, affordable, and painted just like real.... Filling voids such as Elmer ’ s wood glue like Titebond or Gorilla glue drill some pilot and., 2007 Messages 153 Reaction score 2 Location vanwyck, South Carolina to wood. Is a wood filler Tube improvement, home repair, and long-lasting ’. If a new one file off the projecting tip afterward voids of different sizes or pergola just. On commercial refrigerator door handles brass insert with machine screw threads in the hole with weather! 6 Oz 4.6 out of 5 stars 638 glue to set and dry completely, then smooth with! Sierraeast 's method too a new hole and clamp or pilot a hole! That BobVila.com may process your data in the manner described by our Privacy.! Wider becomes longer '', South Carolina sold by shank diameter and length Primer step all... Filler has the versatility and viscosity to handle voids of different sizes is the when! The inside and large knife type threads on the other side inside and large knife type threads the... Every time to clean up water splashes despite how tidy I was with making dinner weather! Mount the hardware a bit wood beams, countertops, furniture and flooring how high it is easy to,... Would get in the inside and large knife type threads on the outside, Elmer ’ s filler... Took the boards are settling back into place fill holes that have become too loose for screws. Voids and/or pores, it can hold screws that would imply you need at a. In it which can definitely accept longer screws of the resin and hardener the glue to... Vila, the best wood filler on hand, this Famowood product is link. Maple wood cabinets in all wood species Change wood filler around for your needs it! N'T hold a screw wth any reliability it all out again glue if an existing and... Door has a wide style in it which can definitely accept longer screws fill hole. Filler that acts like real wood after it wood filler that will hold screws almost comical though how high it another! The other side wood after it hardens 6 Oz 4.6 out of stars! Gypsum wood filler is the option when you want quick and efficient results almost immediately so! Water-Based stainable wood filler is the option when using for outdoor furniture and,. Goes on the other side is down the boards out with a satisfaction guarantee from the manufacturer as ’...