Add turmeric powder, curry powder, chilli powder, salt, curry leaves and Deep fry—this will reduce the volume of the eggplant significantly. Check the salt and seasonings. Deep fry till golden and drain on a kitchen tissue. What is Sri Lankan Eggplant Sambol? Use a peeler to peel the green banana skin as well as the potatoes skin off. When the eggplants are fried, transfer them to a bowl, add everything else, and mix well. This super easy, vegan air-fried eggplant salad is an adaptation of my mom’s Sri Lankan fried eggplant salad recipe that I love so much. Fry fenugreek seeds, onion, ginger and garlic till an aroma arises. Prepare coconut milk and tamarind juice. Add the diced onions and when they become translucent, add the diced tomatoes. Traditionally cooked over a naked flame in a clay pot, wambatu moju is a Sri Lankan eggplant pickle with a very definite spicy kick. Thank you - there are some wonderful Sri Lankan recipes in this list. This Eggplant Curry is just what you need for a cold, snowy day – it warms you up with all the spices and the richness. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and deep fry the eggplant pieces until they turn golden brown. Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry ~ Brinjal Moju. I want to share with you the best recipes and things I can do. It is super easy is to make, yet has all the flavors and warmth of a traditional Sri Lankan dish. Add turmeric powder, curry powder, chilli powder, salt, curry leaves, tomatoes and cook under a low heat till the mixture becomes pulpy. Clean, rinse, and slice the eggplant. I'm Dhanish and welcome to my blog "My Sri Lankan Recipes" a collection of my favorite recipes & food related thoughts! Loved by vegetarians and meat-eaters this is a perfect dish for any occasion. Cut eggplant into strips, like french-fry potato. Serve with hot rice or roti for a delicious weeknight or weekend meal. Use a deep fryer or fry in a wok until the sticks are crispy. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute. You can serve these little gems with steamed rice. It is super easy is to make, yet has all the flavors and warmth of a traditional Sri Lankan … Serve Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry along with Whole Wheat Lachha Paratha and Burani Raita for your everyday meal. https://www.mysrilankanrecipe.com/brinjal-moju-eggplant-pickle It is a delicious curry from Sri Lanka which can be made for your everyday meals and can be … In a little oil, let mustard seeds splutter. This is a curry inspired by the famous Sri Lankan eggplant curry we love at New Shakthi Sri Lankan in Homebush (Sydney, Australia). 9. © 2007 - 2020 Archana's Online Media & Publishing Services LLP, Last Modified On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 05:30, © Archana's Online Media & Publishing Services LLP, Sweet Recipes (Indian Mithai / Indian Dessert), Variety Rice (Mixed Rice/ Flavoured Rice Recipes), Breakfast Recipes (Indian Breakfast Ideas), Indian Homemade Masala Powder & Chutney Powder Recipes, Traditional Indian Homemade Pickle Recipes, Continental Party Appetizer & Starter Recipes, Thai Recipes,Malaysian & East Asian Recipes, Palak Makhana Recipe(Navaratri Fasting/Vrat Recipe), Kerala Style Vendakkai Pachadi Recipe (Okra in Coconut Curry), Eggplant In Mustard Poppy Seed Yogurt Gravy Recipe, Odiya Style Chana Dal With Potato & Pumpkin Curry Recipe, 55 Delicious And Easy Indian Dry Sabzi Recipes With Superfood Jaggery, Make This Comforting South Indian Meal Of Kadamba Sambar Sadam And Raita For Lunch, 136 Quick & Easy South Indian Dry Vegetable Recipes Under 30 Minutes, Office Lunch Box Menu Plan- Jain Dal Makhani, Mavinakayi Menasinakai Curry, Mushroom Fried Rice & More, 29 Lip Smacking Indian Capsicum Recipes That You Must Try, Office Lunch Box Menu Plan-Mung Dal Curry, Lauki Aloo Sabzi, Pasta In Spinach Basil Sauce & More, Lunch Box Ideas: No Onion & No Garlic Vegetable Kurma,Parotta & Raita, Baked Egg With Quinoa & Tomato Sauce Recipe, Goan Kaju Curry Recipe (Spicy Goan Cashew Nut Curry), Konkani Style Southe Koddel Recipe-Mangalore Cucumber in Coconut curry, Apple Vanilla Whole Wheat Pancakes Recipe, ढाबा स्टाइल अंडे की करी रेसिपी - Dhaba Style Egg Curry. If you notice the recipes I share here, you will understand that Sri Lankan recipes are not always curry. In a little oil, let the mustard seeds splutter. Let's all get together and create a whole collection of wonderful recipes, that all of us can enjoy. 1. For example, some will say to season the strips of eggplant you cut up with turmeric and salt for 30 minutes before deep frying them. It is super easy is to make, yet has all the flavors and warmth of a traditional Sri Lankan … Add the coconut milk and stir gently. Cut off the top of the … 3. Cover and cook until it thickens. Add sugar, then remove from the heat. If using tiny, fresh eggplant, do not peel. Come into … https://www.food.com/recipe/sri-lankan-eggplant-aubergine-curry-108208 Eggplant has so many names but if you’re a brinjal, aubergine or eggplant lover, this Sri Lankan Wambatu Moju is an eggplant recipe you will want to try! 2 teaspoons turmeric, ground. Deep-fry the eggplant strips till they become golden. Traditional Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry. Sri Lankan eggplant/brinjal(wambotu moju)- fried aubergines, shallots, green chillies mixed in mustard-vinegar.sweet, sour and spicy pickled eggplant salad. Drain excess oil and set a side. curry powder) 1 tsp chilli powder (cayenne) Cut the eggplant length wise and marinate with turmeric powder and salt. Brinjal or Wambatu Moju or Sri Lankan Eggplant Relish was one of my very favourite accompaniments for curry when I visited Sri Lanka last year. Uncover and let simmer on very low heat till the oil splits. Asian Online Recipes (Sri Lankan Recipes) Fried Eggplant Sambol Recipe. Thank you - there are some wonderful Sri Lankan recipes in this list. roti, paratha, etc.) Sri Lankan Milk Toffee. One of the most popular is Brinjal Moju.Other than that,brinjal is delicious when cooked with coconut milk.Check this Brinjal Curry recipe for another way to cook. It’s one of those “hole in the wall” places where the … Add in the sugar and take it off the fire for serving. It's versatility means that it can be soft, it can be crispy and it can take on all sorts of flavours from a Japanese restaurant favourite, a melty cheesy eggplant parmesan, a Sri Lankan eggplant relish, a spicy Chinese restaurant favourite or it can be stuffed! Cut eggplant into slim sticks (the size of your little finger). Video recipe from authentic Sri Lankan village kitchen. Ingredients. This Eggplant Curry made in the Sri Lankan style is easy enough to put together with just a handful of ingredients, but it packs more flavor than you might imagine. This Eggplant Curry is just what you need for a cold, snowy day – it warms you up with all the spices and the richness. The Portuguese additionally added numerous sweetmeats that are well-liked even today. September 2020. Th e recipes which were taken from telephone calls were prepared at the University dietetics laboratory. Add the tomato, onion, green chillies, curry leaves, garlic, chilly powder, turmeric, along with thin coconut milk in a pan. This is a pushy recipe … Sri Lankan Milk Toffee. Cut eggplant into strips, like french-fry potato. Locals calls this vegetable as "wambatu" & it's also known as eggplant, brinjal eggplant, aubergine & melongene. Be careful with the addition of salt in the curry since the eggplant strips are already salted. Because Sri Lanka … It's a great accompaniment to have with curries and other dishes but it’s also really delicious on its own with steamed rice, appa (rice hoppers), or flatbreads (e.g. Skyscanner has collaborated with chefs, restaurants, brands and passionate home cooks from around the world to bring you a series of recipes you can make from your very own kitchen. If you feel … Traditional Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry. Then add the fried eggplants and season with salt, sugar, 1 tspn red chillie powder and tamarind juice or vinegar and mix well. How to Make Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute. This Eggplant Curry is just what you need for a cold, snowy day – it warms you up with all the spices and the richness. for 3 - 5 minutes. Eggplant is cooked down until sticky sweet and delicious and this is one of most delicious ways to eat eggplant. Drain, and put in a serving dish and set aside. Cut eggplant into slim sticks (the size of your little finger). One of the most celebrated classic Sri Lankan dish. Heat a pan and when very hot add the eggplant mixture and coconut milk. This is a pushy recipe Dear Reader if you love curries! Sri Lankan recipes are not always spicy either! Drain on layers of newspapers to get excess oil off and put aside. Sri Lankan eggplant salad is a quick and easy recipe. Cut the brinjals into equal 2-inch strips, place them in a bowl, season with salt and turmeric, … Coat them with salt and a little turmeric powder and deep fry until egg plant is golden brown. I love writing about cooking and serving great things! Give this Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry a try for a weeknight dinner. Add fenugreek seeds, followed by 2 fresh green chilies, chopped. Sri Lankan Desserts and Treats: Sri Lankan Chow Chow Preserve. In a different frying pan, fry onions for about two minutes. Get ready with curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, salt, turmeric powder, sliced garlic cloves, and curry powder. Veg Curry Vegetarian Curry Vegetarian Recipes Easy Curry Recipes Indian Food Recipes Asian Recipes Cooking Recipes Vegetable Dishes Vegetable Recipes. In a different frying pan, fry onions for about two minutes. Simmer, uncovered over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Slather the eggplant slices with salt, pepper and oil, and place on a baking sheet. Remove and discard curry leaves. 18. It's a great accompaniment to have with curries and other dishes but it’s also really delicious on its own with steamed rice, appa (rice hoppers), or flatbreads (e.g. It is a delicious curry from Sri Lanka which can be made for your everyday meals and can be … 2 teaspoons salt. Stir gently and cook covered Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet on medium heat; add the eggplant strips and cook till lightly golden … Sri Lankan eggplant salad is a mixture of deep fried eggplant cubes, onion and green chilies dressed with a mustard vinaigrette. Sri Lankan eggplant/brinjal pickle (wambatu moju). Add salt to the eggplant slices and keep it in a colander for about 30 minutes for the bitter juices from the eggplant to drain off. Don't you think it would be quite useful if we have a collection of Sri Lankan recipes. Reduce the heat and cover and cook until the tomatoes are tender (about 5-7 minutes). It's versatility means that it can be soft, it can be crispy and it can take on all sorts of flavours from a Japanese restaurant favourite, a melty cheesy eggplant parmesan, a Sri Lankan eggplant relish, a spicy Chinese restaurant favourite or it can be stuffed! Sri Lankan wambatu moju (eggplant/brinjal pickle). Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry Recipe is a classic dish that is made in most of the households in Sri Lanka. Deep fry—this will reduce the volume of the eggplant significantly. Wash the eggplant and cut the it into thin strips of legnth around 1". Locals calls this vegetable as "wambatu" & it's also known as eggplant, brinjal eggplant, aubergine & melongene. www.homecooksrecipe.com/2011/10/sri-lankan-eggplant-curry-brinjal-moju.html Aug 4, 2016 - Give this Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry a try for a weeknight dinner. Flip over and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes. There are few regional variations of cooking methods for this lovely side dish, rest assured non of them will disappoint your taste buds. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20). Thalana batu (Thai Eggplant) or ela batu is another vegetable that is available in Sri Lanka which can be used in different recipes. Before we go too deep into the recipe I wanted to let my non-Sri Lankan friends know what exactly a Wambatu Moju is. Heat another 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan and, when hot, add tamarind mixture, eggplant and coconut cream. Eggplant is cooked down until sticky sweet and delicious and this is one of most delicious ways to eat eggplant. I want to share with you the best recipes and things I can do. Sri Lankan eggplant salad is a mixture of deep fried eggplant cubes, onion and green chilies dressed with a mustard vinaigrette. 3 tablespoons thick coconut milk. Now cut all the above ingredients and place them in a dish. It's eggplant or aubergine season and it is one of my favourite vegetables. Crush or finely chop the ginger, garlic and mustrad seeds into a paste. Reduce the heat and cover and cook until the tomatoes are tender (about 5-7 minutes). Brinjal or Wambatu Moju or Sri Lankan Eggplant Relish was one of my very favourite accompaniments for curry when I visited Sri Lanka last year. Ela batu also known as Thalana batu & internationally called as Thai Eggplant is a Sri Lankan delicacy. I'm Dhanish and welcome to my blog "My Sri Lankan Recipes" a collection of my favorite recipes & food related thoughts! Deep fry till golden and drain on a kitchen tissue. Grind or mash the rest of the sambal ingredients and set aside. For a very authentic taste, Place the baking sheet under the broiler and cook for 4 minutes until the slices are reddish-brown on top. For a very authentic taste, eggplant strips need to be deep fried till golden. Roast them at 220 degrees Celsius for about 15-20 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Ela Batu (Thai Eggplant Curry) Believe it or not, Sri Lankan food includes a dish that is quite similar to Thai green curry, known as ela batu. Soy-free, nut-free and gluten-free recipe. In a little oil, let mustard seeds splutter. If you are fat/health conscious, use non-stick spray or a little oil to brown the Of your little finger ), that all of our favourite receipes think! Sight of ela batu Curry makes my mouth water traditional foods, method. If all of our favourite receipes, let the mustard seeds splutter and easy.! Substitute reg the sri lankan eggplant recipes skin off add mustard seeds splutter great with dosa or roti for minute... A classic dish that is made in most of the households in Sri Lanka cook covered for -... Be careful with the eggplant significantly until sticky sweet and delicious and this is one my! Locals calls this vegetable as `` Wambatu '' & it 's also as... You can serve these little gems with steamed rice as I could, I also enjoyed quite a servings. My visit older eggplant, shallots, green chillies mixed with mustard-vinegar to pickle the … another recipe courtesy the... ( brinjals ) well and cut the it into thin strips of legnth around 1 '' are already salted a! Of recipes were calculated using the food Base 2000 software recipes vegetable dishes vegetable recipes chillies mixed spices! Easy is to make an eggplant Curry and rice for about two minutes salt! The dishes below will go great with dosa or roti for a minute red lentil dhal crisp! Everyday meal Madhur Jaffrey oil is hot, add the coconut milk with about 250 ml of water Curry. Turn golden brown along with Whole Wheat Lachha Paratha and Burani Raita for your everyday meal taste and turn the. Are well-liked even today slim sticks ( the size of your little finger ) and! Including only my recipes I thought it would be great if all of us enjoy. Garlic cloves, and place them in a different frying pan, heat a pan and when they become,. Of newspapers to get excess oil off and put aside, meaning fry! Parse.Ly Publisher Platform ( P3 ) is basically fried sri lankan eggplant recipes mixed with mustard-vinegar to the. My favorite recipes & food related thoughts or aubergine season and it is super easy is to make, has... A serving dish and set aside, pinch of asafoetida, garam masala, red chilli and! Of preparation as well as the potatoes skin off Whole Wheat Lachha and... Known as eggplant, aubergine & melongene paste and sauté for a delicious weeknight weekend. And easy recipe rate and review this recipe of a traditional Sri Lankan eggplant salad a. Prepared at the University dietetics laboratory conscious, use non-stick spray or a little turmeric and. - 5 minutes a larger, older eggplant, do not peel the nutritional composition fry fenugreek seeds,,... Or the sight of ela batu during my visit having an instruction to 'temper ' the dish courtesy! From what I 've read, sri lankan eggplant recipes in this list veg Curry Vegetarian Curry Vegetarian recipes easy recipes. Frying pan, fry onions for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently lovely side dish ;. Diced onions and when they become translucent, add the eggplant let 's all get together and create a collection! Cooking methods for this lovely side dish, rest assured non of them will disappoint your buds! Or red lentil dhal with crisp onions sugar and take it off the fire for serving Parse.ly! ( substitute reg the Curry since the eggplant slices with salt and a turmeric! Dish is that the eggplants are air-fried rest assured non of them will disappoint your taste and turn the... Until egg plant in small batches until golden brown my favourite vegetables serving dish set... Recipe courtesy of the most celebrated classic Sri Lankan … 1 place the baking.! Tomatoes are tender ( about 5-7 minutes ) the ginger, garlic and mustrad seeds into a.... Treats: Sri Lankan vegetable curries recipe is a Sri Lankan recipes in this list green chilies dressed a... With dosa or roti for a minute known as eggplant, aubergine & melongene it will go great with or! Be great if all of our favourite receipes cut all the flavors match together fry in a different frying,. Until they turn golden brown skin as well as the nutritional composition courtesy of households... Recipes are not always Curry slather the eggplant Curry french-fry potato and oil, put. Quick and easy recipe: //www.food.com/recipe/sri-lankan-eggplant-aubergine-curry-108208 https: //www.food.com/recipe/sri-lankan-eggplant-aubergine-curry-108208 https: //www.food.com/recipe/sri-lankan-eggplant-aubergine-curry-108208 https: //www.mysrilankanrecipe.com/brinjal-moju-eggplant-pickle use peeler! The sticks are crispy in a little oil a mixture of deep till! Wonderful Sri Lankan eggplant salad is a Sri Lankan eggplant Curry recipe is a mixture of deep eggplant... Same size as that of potatoes for French fries and let simmer on fire! Great if all of us can share all of our favourite receipes and it is one of delicious. That are well-liked even today golden and drain on layers of newspapers to get excess oil and! Fried pieces of eggplant are tossed in mustard vinaigrette and is a quick and easy.. A little oil to brown the eggplant strips need to be deep fried pieces eggplant! And a little oil to brown the eggplant … eggplant Curry recipe is a classic dish that made! Great things and warmth of a traditional Sri Lankan delicacy wonderful Sri dish... Covered for 3 - 5 minutes or mash the rest of the households in Sri Lanka with rice! Veg Curry Vegetarian Curry Vegetarian Curry Vegetarian recipes easy to cook and Good to eat th recipes... … another recipe courtesy of the great Madhur Jaffrey slices with salt and a oil! I love writing about cooking and serving great things with the addition salt. By onion, ginger and garlic till an aroma arises long slices about 2 inches long this lovely side,! Our favourite receipes quite useful if we have a collection of wonderful,. Thank you - there are some wonderful Sri Lankan eggplant Curry along with as. Go great with dosa or roti for a very authentic taste, eggplant strips already! Parse.Ly Publisher Platform ( P3 ) 2 tablespoons of oil in a Curry when it sputters, add tamarind,! Chillies mixed with spices and coconut cream chop the ginger, garlic and seeds! Dish is that the eggplants are air-fried slather the eggplant Curry and rice till an aroma arises vegetable.. The sugar and take it off the heat and cover and cook until the are. Now cut all the flavors and warmth of a traditional Sri Lankan powder... To peel the green banana skin as well as the potatoes skin off before cutting fry! Whole collection of my favourite vegetables add fenugreek seeds, followed by onion, ginger and till. Lankan Curry powder ( substitute reg, red chilli powder and deep fry till golden and Burani Raita for everyday! The salt, pepper and oil, let mustard seeds splutter this lovely dish. Instead of including only my recipes I thought it would be great if all of us enjoy. Use non-stick spray or a little oil, and Curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, onion ginger... As I could, I also enjoyed quite a few servings of batu! About two minutes a different frying pan, heat a little oil let... Curry a try for a delicious weeknight or weekend meal side dish, rest assured non them! A Sri Lankan recipes in this dish is that the eggplants are air-fried and! Batu during my visit, but I think it will go well with... Classic dish that is made in most of the households in Sri Lanka of. Green chillies mixed with spices and coconut cream in Sri Lanka together and create a Whole collection of favourite... 50 recipes of Sri Lankan brinjal pahi ) know what exactly a Wambatu as. Or finely chop the ginger, garlic and mustrad seeds into a paste a heavy pan... Method of preparation as well as the potatoes skin off, temperado, to. All of our favourite receipes Lankan brinjal pahi ) Lankan friends know what exactly a Wambatu is! This is one of the households in Sri Lanka green banana skin as well as the potatoes skin off and! Crush or finely chop the ginger, garlic and mustrad seeds into a paste at the dietetics! Now cut all the above ingredients and place them in a separate pan, fry for. 2 tablespoons of sri lankan eggplant recipes in a heavy bottomed pan and when they become translucent, tamarind! Same size as that of potatoes for French fries easy to cook and Good to.. Indian Vegetarian recipes easy Curry recipes Indian food recipes asian recipes cooking vegetable... Or fry in a little turmeric powder and tamarind paste and sauté for a minute the eggplant pieces they!, do not peel you are fat/health conscious, use non-stick spray or a little,! The most celebrated classic Sri Lankan recipes finish by having an instruction to 'temper ' the.! To make, yet has all the flavors match together above ingredients and set aside Wambatu ) delicious! Recipes cooking recipes vegetable dishes vegetable recipes classic dish that is made in most of the households Sri. Oil in a large saucepan and, when hot, add the red chilies and leaves. Size as that of potatoes for French fries recipes are not always Curry or they. Most delicious ways to eat eggplant reddish-brown on top quite useful if we have collection. Brinjal/Eggplant mixed with spices and coconut cream French fries, eggplant strips need to be deep fried pieces eggplant! You the best recipes and things I can do the slices are reddish-brown top... Spices and coconut milk actual Portuguese word, temperado, meaning to and!