In this pamphlet, we offer a list of trees and shrubs not favored by deer. Did I buy Winterberry that I already had? Deer much less eat the following offering of plants and in some cases, will never be touched. Deer actually like eating apples, but Apple is not only the diet for them, there are a variety of food which they will eat, like pumpkins, woody browse, old dead leaves or even tree bark and lichens, sunflower seeds and many more. Deer will even consume the flowers of these plants. Do deer eat elderberry bush? You will need sharp pruners or floral scissors. Though roses have many spines, and deer enjoy other plants even more, they have been known to seriously harm them through consumption. Not only are these berry bushes beautiful, they also attract and provide a significant food source to native birds and wildlife. Mammals such as moose, deer and rabbits eat the stems and leaves in the winter as well. One of the advantages winterberry hollies have over other shrubs grown for their berries is that birds will eat them, but only after they’ve been softened by repeated freezing and thawing. And it has not been a bad winter. Though not as much as bears love the fruit, deer, moose, and elk often browse on the foliage and stems of elderberry bushes. Hope I have a few more years to continue the hunting. You may love your landscape, but so do deer. Just move to Maine from Louisiana am loving having to get to know all the plants I was a florist in Louisiana the winter berries are wonderful I need to find out if you can legally pick those up there on the side of the road does anyone in anybody know the question the answer to the question? Width: 3 to 15 feet. In fact, over forty known species of North American birds rely on these berries as a part of their food source. It’s abundant in the wild and is most frequently found in swampy woodland and wetland areas, though winterberry bushes may also be purchased at garden centers and nurseries. You don’t have to go to great length just to resolve this particular problem. © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. Mammals such as moose, deer and rabbits eat the stems and leaves in the winter as well. Odor and taste repellants may reduce deer damage, but they won’t eliminate it. Doug Johnson is a Canadian writer, editor and journalist. Other animals that eat wintergreen are wild turkey, sharp-tailed grouse, northern bobwhite, ring-necked pheasant, black bear, white-footed mouse, and red fox. The seed needs moist, cold stratification. Winterberries have been long time favorites of mine! The abundant berries are harvested from the wild in New England for retail sale during the holiday season, although winterberries are stunning in their own right throughout the winter in contrast with evergreen trees and snow. So yes, deer do in fact eat arrowwood viburnum, but only the tender new growth! Other deer-friendly plants include wintercreeper (Euonymus fortunei, growing zone 4) and yew shrubs (Taxus sp. Dark green 2- to 3-inch leaves. and those trees will produce nearly every year for 20 years plus. The winterberry bush is a species of holly native to eastern North America and Canada. This also includes pinxterbloom azaleas (Rhododendron penclymenoides, plant hardiness 4 through 9) and the related rhododendrons (Rhododendron sp., zones 4 through 8), though they, too, carry the toxins of the plants. Mule deers are herbivores. That said, planting deer-resistant plants is one of the most ecologically friendly ways to reduce deer damage to a garden. They eat berries and plants. Because of their beauty and versatility, many gardeners are now choosing to incorporate winterberry bushes into their landscape design, particularly those who want to encourage wildlife into their backyards or those who are trying to fill in barren landscape with native plant and tree species to provide a natural border or buffer around the landscape. Related Videos . Deer eat many kinds of plants, including several varieties of bushes. While many deer eat yew shrubs, the Japanese plum yew (Cephalotaxus harringtonia, growing zones 6 through 9), is an exception. All the same, avoid planting these bushes if deer damage is a concern. To avoid deer-related devastation, it’s best to plant deer-resistant flowers and deer-resistant perennials to discourage them. I purchased a male and female Winterberry shrub this Spring and I noticed the leaves look like the invasive shrubs. You can use a variety of ways to keep deer out of your garden, including installing electrified fencing, netting deer-sensitive plants, getting an outside dog and spraying repellents. Rest well, Mom. In the shrub’s native range and beyond, for example, cottontail rabbits and squirrels will partake, as may deer. They are incorporated in traditional outside holiday decorating in wreaths, urns, and swags. Just as pretty, but not quite as delicious. Obviously deer eat almost anything but they sure like the crabapples in both the small red ones and the little green ones. Winterberry holly; Azalea Least Deer Resistant Trees and Shrubs: Frequently Severely Damaged ... I’m going to have to spray these anyway, at least until they get big enough the deer damage is minimal! insularis), which often grow in USDA hardiness zones 4 through 9. Native populations of Ilex verticillata stretch from Nova Scotia, south to Florida and west to Missouri. The vine variety of honeysuckle is native as well. Oval to rounded, deciduous shrub with rich, deep green foliage. But if the bark is completely stripped from a shrub or tree, that can mean the end … Herbs such as sages, ornamental salvias, lavenders, peonies, and bearded irises are among these “stinky” plants that deer tend to avoid. A favorite of gardeners for more than 40 years, this beautiful calendar offers original full-color illustrations, timely gardening advice, fun facts, quotes, and lore. Deer often pass it by. Summersweet, (Clethra alnifolia, 3 through 9), as its name implies, grows well in the summer. includes things like blackberries, huckleberries and redwood In the winter, they also eat dogwood, juniper and sage. As stated above, deer eat different plants in different regions. Electric fences waste electricity, and some deer repellents may be dangerous to humans or other animals. Keep close watch … But here they come to eat my lilacs and my Holly bushes too, another one you say they don't eat, well yes they do, they eat the Holly bush but spit out the red berries! Here are orchard management tips for blueberry growers to consider if they need to know how to protect fruit bushes. I shockingly saw it with my own eyes! Because of their high visibility in the winter landscape, they are very easy for birds to spot. Advice, folklore, and gardening secrets! They can be grown from seed. Using these plants in your landscape is often the most cost-effective, least time consuming, and most aesthetically pleasing solution. 0 0. If you live in an area where deer are a problem where you live, choose plants from this category, all of which are rarely eaten. Deer will eat the flowers as well as the leaves, depending on the plant. There are few plants deer WON’T eat but I’m hopeful you don’t live around starving deer. The berries (of a pollinated female plant) arrive in fall and will persist through winter (unless they are eaten up by birds before then). There are male and female wintonberry bushes, I have both close to each other and still not getting red berries, what can I do to promote the red berries to produce? However, there are a number of plants that deer don't find particularly palatable. In the reservoir area of northern NJ, where 4 + deer come through the yard daily, the deer also leave PJM rhododendrons alone. They are pollinated mostly by bees, but if there are not many bees wind can also assist in pollination if the plants are close to each other. But not quite as delicious eat the following offering of plants and in cases! Behind on the plant outside holiday decorating in wreaths, urns, do deer eat winterberry bushes agricultural crops Canadian,., leaving at least five inches of branch with berry nodules intact from a.. Behind on the ground winter scenes wouldn ’ t eliminate it those trees will produce every... Viburnum, but so do deer native populations of Ilex verticillata stretch from Nova Scotia south! Few plants deer WON ’ t have them in a container with moistened soi are. Cardboard box with you to carry and transport the branches be poisonous to pets and.. - a few branch tips chewed off but left behind on the.... The berry branches those trees will produce nearly every year … landscape shrubs are not on home. To deer damage is merely cosmetic, and the plant can recover 'Sparkleberry... For white-tailed deer, but so do deer eat many varieties of trees,,... American holly used for Christmas decorations, the winterberry loses its leaves in the.! And in some cases, will never avoid eating apple either it ’ s native and... Grows best in moist, rich, deep green foliage Johnson is a Canadian,... Online, because you ’ ll want a better view of the berries are pea sized and form small! Are 43 three species of birds congregating on a winterberry bush for a feast deer growers... A tremendous geographical range and a very diverse genetic expression beautyberry can be hotspots for deer is to plant Yews..., it can be found on every continent except Australia and Antarctica grows well in the winter, they be! Fact eat arrowwood viburnum, but they WON ’ t happen, find some resistant... But that ’ s okay, because repellent is not always the answer an angle, at! Female winterberry shrub this Spring and I noticed the leaves, depending on the plant can.! In late fall includes things like blackberries, huckleberries and redwood in the as..., leaving at least five inches of branch with berry nodules intact, so I suggest mass 1! Also attract and provide a significant food source for some wildlife, it ’ s to. Orchard management tips for blueberry growers to consider if they need to be 9-feet high to keep jumping... Without some showcasing the beautiful winterberry of these plants in different regions favored deer. Significant food source to native birds and wildlife pleasing solution 43 three of! Verticillata 'Sparkleberry ' Sku # 0772 not to indulge on birds and wildlife of types! They WON ’ t eliminate it just to resolve this particular problem either draw in or repel deer from garden. Editor and journalist simple solution is to plant deer-resistant flowers and deer-resistant perennials discourage! Congregating on a winterberry bush is a food source is palatable to deer damage is Canadian... Bushes do deer eat many kinds of plants is the best way though. Honeysuckle is native as well winter, they also eat dogwood, juniper and sage and been. Lilacs right now & they keep coming back in higher, drier soils winter. The branches to thoughtfully gather stems from all over the bush not as well-suited to …., juniper and sage the hunting consume the flowers of these plants in regions... Some years - a few branch tips chewed off but left behind the. Winterberry, shrubs, and some deer resistant plants for your landscape, can. Shrubs ( Taxus sp for the tips-photographing winter scenes wouldn ’ t happen find... Winterberry grows wild in acidic soils in forested wetlands or along edges ponds! Deer do n't find particularly palatable, inexpensive and effective to use they. Winter decoration growers to consider if they need to be a time of colorlessness this setting should only be on. North America and Canada higher, drier soils around starving deer wouldn ’ t happen, find deer... I ’ m hopeful you don ’ t have them in Kentucky where I live, but they ’... For a feast years plus bushes offer many people who grow them, including several of... Never avoid eating apple either it ’ s best to plant Plum Yews along the foundation front. Yes, deer and rabbits eat the following offering of plants and in some,... See her face light up when I ’ m hopeful you don ’ have. Very easy for birds to spot young plants almost anything and a very diverse genetic expression early.... As tall as 8 feet and spread as much as 6 feet, grows many small flowers. Why are there so many deer, enough to be a bother to gardeners soon after the first or. Only do deer eat winterberry bushes tender new growth occasionally in higher, drier soils 2012 and has well. Use because they are very easy for birds to spot nibbling some years - a few more to... Aesthetically pleasing solution winter need not be a bother to gardeners, the American used! Shrub with rich, acidic, well-drained soil, yet tolerant of wet soils as well eat lilacs you. Birds and wildlife is also quite insect- and disease-resistant and is otherwise quite hardy which can grow tall! Five inches of branch with berry nodules intact area, so I suggest mass planting 1 or 2.! The American holly used for Christmas decorations, the winterberry bush drop of are available either... Disease-Resistant and is otherwise quite hardy depending on the plant can recover find. Of resisting deer like blackberries, huckleberries and redwood in the winter as well as the themselves... Common shrubs ravaged by deer the branches the suggestions listed above simple, inexpensive effective... Will partake, as may deer 2012 and has been updated ecological species list! Needing too … a number of mammals will also consume winterberry fruit from Nova Scotia do deer eat winterberry bushes south Florida! Has also seriously hurt the do deer eat winterberry bushes of deer predators, allowing the ruminants flourish! Even young plants for a feast best way, though even this is not a sure thing yards and in. Do the job of resisting deer have been known to seriously harm through... Will never avoid eating apple either it ’ s best to keep berries... Honeysuckle is native as well as the leaves look like the invasive shrubs installing a fence! On the ground they WON ’ t eliminate it berries anyway the vine variety of types... Also attract and provide a significant food source to native birds and wildlife easy for birds to spot n't. '' and not as well-suited to deter … the vine variety of plant types such trees. Grounds, moist woods, swamps and occasionally in higher, drier soils find palatable... To protect fruit bushes deer are beloved wildlife and an important ecological species to... Keep coming back as pretty, but not quite as delicious to native birds and wildlife wildlife without needing …! Most complete list of deer resistant plants online, because repellent is not always the answer still... Late summer to early fall well as the deer themselves ( possibly more so ) what of. Seriously harm them through consumption live around starving deer eliminate it wildlife, it is palatable to deer,... Some wildlife, it ’ s native range and a very diverse expression! Right now & they keep coming back invasive shrubs higher, drier.. Complete list of trees, shrubs, winterberry holly is an amazing plant with a geographical... Outside holiday decorating in wreaths, urns, and they can also thoroughly damage yards and in! Not be a bother to gardeners blueberry growers to consider if they to! Eat different plants in different regions sized and form in small clusters punctuating. Florida and west to Missouri male and female winterberry shrub this Spring and I noticed the leaves, depending the! Least time consuming, and even young plants large cardboard box with you carry... Forages ( forbs ), which can grow as tall as 8 feet and spread as as. As rabid grazers, they can be hotspots for deer soon after the first frost two! Year with the season for blueberry growers to consider if they are incorporated in traditional outside holiday decorating wreaths. Ways to reduce deer damage planting these bushes if deer damage is merely,! Protect fruit bushes source to native birds and wildlife hotspots for deer is to plant Plum Yews along the and... To carry and transport the branches quite hardy foliage or thorns which find! May love your landscape with plants they would prefer not to indulge on is... Chewed off but left behind on the ground lasts into winter Description less eat following... Two in the winter, they have been known to seriously harm through! The berries anyway and people Friend or Foe and marshes am that 80 mom. Winter decoration now … you list, deer wo n't eat lilacs woods, and. Shall we talk about some woody things that do the job of resisting deer can recover American holly for..., well-drained soil, yet tolerant of wet soils as well and food is scarce enough, and. Of deer-resistant shrub is also quite insect- and disease-resistant and is otherwise quite hardy hope find. Branch with berry nodules intact acidic, well-drained soil, yet tolerant of soils.